Dolet 7 for Finale adds support for reading and writing MusicXML 3.1 files. MusicXML 3.1 is the latest version of the MusicXML format and the first one to be developed within the W3C Music Notation Community Group.
By making Dolet 7 for Finale available for beta testing, we hope to assist other music software developers who want to add support for MusicXML 3.1 by being able to test exchanging MusicXML 3.1 files with Finale.
The MusicXML 3.1 features that Dolet 7 for Finale supports include:
- Uncompressed MusicXML 3.1 files are now saved with a .musicxml file extension by default.
- Finale expressions with a mix of Maestro musical symbols and text are now exported and imported.
- Finale expressions with a mix of text and note symbols from other Finale built-in fonts are now exported.
- Unexpected symbols in Finale articulations can now be exported in a way that can be exchanged with other applications.
- Unexpected symbols in MusicXML files can now be imported into Finale articulations.
- Parenthesized accidental marks are now supported.
- Circled noteheads for percussion notation are now supported.
- The two styles of percussion clef are now distinguished during export and import.
- The n dynamic character is now supported.
- The sfzp and pf dynamics now use the corresponding new MusicXML elements.
- Highest / lowest notes without leger lines now use the standard MusicXML 3.1 feature for greater interoperability.
- Arrowhead characters in the Engraver Text fonts are now supported.
- Enclosures with 5 to 10 sides are now supported.
The Dolet 7 for Finale plug-in is a 32-bit plug-in that works with Finale 2009 through Finale 2014.5 on Mac and Windows.
Please share your experiences with MusicXML 3.1 and the Dolet plug-in at the W3C Music Notation Community Group. If you find a problem with MusicXML 3.1 in your testing, please post an issue at the MusicXML GitHub repository.
Thank you for your help in making the MusicXML format an ever more powerful way to exchange scores between applications that use music notation.