Dolet® 8 for Sibelius Beta Coming Soon
November 22, 2021 | by Michael Good
Over the past few months we have been hard at work updating our free Dolet® for Sibelius plug-in for exporting MusicXML files from Sibelius. It has been over five years since we last updated the plug-in. We wanted to take advantage of the new features of both MusicXML 4.0 and Sibelius’s ManuScript programming language to get better MusicXML files out of Sibelius. This should make it easier for people to transfer their music from Sibelius into SmartMusic, Finale, and other music notation apps.
To apply for the beta test, please fill out the application form. This will let us know what type of test coverage we will be getting in terms of both Sibelius versions and applications that will be making use of the exported MusicXML files. If accepted, you will receive information about accessing the beta versions during the week of November 29.
The Dolet 8 for Sibelius plug-in requires Sibelius 2019.5 or later. Restricting to later versions of Sibelius makes it much easier to support the plug-in and make use of the latest ManuScript features.
There are 50 new features and fixes available in this beta release. Here are 10 of the highlights:
- Concert scores now export transposition information, including alternate clefs for transposed parts.
- Concert scores with octave-transposing parts such as guitar and piccolo now export correctly.
- Cross-staff notation is exported starting with Sibelius 2021.9.
- Dynamic parts can be exported all at once using the new Export Parts to MusicXML menu item.
- Page-aligned text is now exported except for headers and footers.
- Many more standard symbols are now exported.
- System directions export with the system attribute, providing better results when creating parts from an imported score.
- Text that mixes dynamics or musical symbols with words now export correctly.
- Metronome marks with numeric ranges now export correctly.
- Batch export no longer prompts for saving after each file.
We hope that many of you will find this updated plug-in useful. Please consider joining the beta program to let us know how it works for you before we make the plug-in more widely available.